Sunday, July 8, 2012

Shanghai, Day 1 - Sightseeing

I slept all night last night, which was a huge blessing! I woke up a few times thinking I wouldn't be able to fall asleep, but thankfully I did. Hopefully getting over jet lag.

We all met for breakfast and the food was really good... there was literally food wrapped around the entire room.  Then we met down in the lobby and drove over to the YuYuan Garden. When we were walking to get into the garden, the street was filled with stores on the side with little knick knacks. So many people kept getting in my face saying "oh come in come in!".


The garden was really pretty. I think everyone agreed that it reminded us of the Forbidden City a little bit, but just a lot prettier. There were ponds with koi and trees everywhere. It was fun to see :)


 Afterwards we went shopping a little bit. I was so happy to be able to use my bargaining skills again :) I've missed that. It's very westernized here. Lots of McDonalds, Starbucks, Dairy Queens, and Coldstones... practically on every street. I've also noticed a lot more Americans in the restaurants that we visit and such. Though, when we were in the Gardens, one little girl passed us and shrieked and covered her mouth in terror at the sight of us. Mostly the people just wave and try to practice their English with a "hello! Hello, beautiful lady!" haha. That's about as much as they know. 


 The rest of the day I spent playing cards and hanging out with Charlie, Elyssa, and Annie. I don't think I've ever laughed so much in my life... they're so great. :) Thankful we have a fun team again. 


 It didn't rain too much today. Just a few sprinkles here and there, not even enough to pull out an umbrella which was a blessing. It was HOT though. I don't even know the temperature, but I know it was probably over 100 and we were all sticky and gross. Haha. 






 Anyway, we eventually went to dinner and just came back.  Tomorrow we're going to go see more of the city... we will see some of the buildings as well as The Bund which was an international area of Shanghai followed by more shopping. I'm excited to see and hear about a lot of the new buildings here. It should be an interesting day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment