Saturday, July 21, 2012

Hong Kong Sightseeing

This is my blog from our sightseeing day in Hong Kong on Thursday:

Today we were able to sleep in quite a bit, which was so nice. We've been going to bed late and getting up pretty early for the past two weeks, so even an extra hour of sleep goes the extra mile.

I stayed with Makenna and Annie, who were very welcoming roommates. :) I was in their room most of the time before, so it wasn't that much of a change up.

For breakfast we wandered over to the airport to find some food. Some of us stopped at a Starbucks, and some of us stopped in Seven Eleven. I got a donut at Seven Eleven, which tasted like home. :)

We all met up at the airport and took a train to the city from there. The train ride was only about a 25 minute ride.

Once we got to the city we found a tour, The Big Bus Tour, and bought tickets. The Big Bus Tour is just a double decker bus that takes you to numerous stops throughout Hong Kong, and you can just get on and off whenever you want and then back on again when you're done. We all were excited to sit on top of the bus... but the excitement wore off after about 10 minutes in the hot sun.

We drove by some cool buildings, including the 9th tallest in the world that was also in The Dark Knight!

Our first stop was at The Peak. It's this big building you have to take a train up to, and at the top there's a huge view of HK. We went up to the building and found lots of shops and such up there... it was like a mall, almost!

When we got to the top we saw a spectacular view of Hong Kong. Literally saw the entire city. It was so beautiful. One side had the city, and the other side had the water... and the water side almost looked like Hawaii! So beautiful.

After we saw the view, a few stopped to get some food and their pictures at Bubba Gumps. ;) Then we were off again.

We drove for quite awhile along the outside of the city near the water. We finally stopped to take a SamPan boat tour. We hopped on a boat and drove around a bit. This is where people live in boats. I don't know how they do it... I'd be such a baby if I had to do that. Haha. But it was cool to see.

After that we drove back to our beginning point where some people went back to the hotel because they weren't feeling good, and the rest of us went shopping.

We stopped at Subway for a late lunch, and it was delicious! Tasted just like home! :)

Then we hopped on a ferry to another little island and took a bus to find the Lady's Market. We had a lot of trouble finding the market, though. It wasn't clearly market on the map, and no one seemed to know where to find it. We kept getting lost, and it seemed like forever before we actually found where we needed to be. Haha.

Once we got there we found it was an outdoor market, which is unusual, of all sorts of knock-off stuff. We all went shopping and got new stuff. There wasn't much of what I was looking for... I got my mama a nice purse, though, so I count that success. :)

After we were done, we got back on a bus and headed back to the hotel. It took us awhile, though, because our bus had to take the long way back to the ferry station. We were so confused as to what was going on, but all that matters is that we made it back. :)

We got to our hotel room and now we're packing up for a long trip home tomorrow. :( I'm dreading the 15 hour flight. It is NOT going to be pretty. Haha. I'm so sad I have to say goodbye to my team tomorrow. We've all bonded so well, and I've made lifelong friends on this trip. I wish we all came from the same place, because I'm going to miss them so much. So SO much. They've touched my heart, and I'll never forget them. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment