Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hong Kong


Today we didn't do too much. It was just another travel day.



We left at 7 this morning, and Liz, Joy, Helen, and Mrs. Wang came to see us off. Which was great because we got to cry some more ;)



Liz was so sweet and made us hard boiled eggs to take for breakfast on the road. They all just have a servants heart, willing to help in any way.  Tt really amazes me.



I gave them all a hug again, and Joy last. And of course by the time we got to her I was all teary eyed. She told me not to cry again, and looked me in the eyes with the biggest, brightest smile. She was staying strong for us, just like a mama. I love her so much.



And then we were off. It was sad to see the city go. And I think a lot of us were down in spirits. I cried a lot last night, even after I went to bed... And I thought I'd gotten it all out, but after seeing the nannies and having to leave, I realized I hadn't.



We made it to the train station and onto our train. We were joking that Charlie's bag would be too big for the train because her bag is huge and packed to the max, but she somehow managed! We were all so proud.



The train was SO nice. I wish we could travel across the world in those. The seats are so comfortable and there is so much leg room. I slept for about an hour, and it was so nice. We need to come up with a way to ride those all the way. Or make planes with more leg room. I guess that's called first class, though. Haha.



I sat next to Fawn, our local Chinese guide, so we got to talk for awhile. She's such a sweetheart, and I'm so glad God put her with us again. She's such a blessing and has a wonderful sense of humor.



When we got to Hong Konyn, we found our drivers. We didn't realize that they were driving us for awhile, but they pulled out three big vans for us to take.



I gave Fawn a hug goodbye and climbed into one van with Annie and Makenna. I sat in the front seat, on the LEFT side, which I thought was weird. Being that they were a British colony, they drive on the left and the drivers seats are on the right in HK. And then we were off.



We had a lot of fun in our van talking. It was kinda awkward sitting by the driver at first, but he was nice and had brought us snacks and waters.



We got out at one point to go through customs. We had to give them a departure slip from china, and were given new HK forms to fill out, which was interesting. So I guess they're still kinda independent?



Our driver had some trouble with his car though, so we had to squeeze in with the other two vans, which wasn't a big deal. Our new driver was pretty interesting. He had bedazzled the whole dashboard on his car, and had fancy decorations everywhere. Haha. It was funny.



Our hotel is SO nice. It felt like home as soon as we walked in. We're definitely being spoiled.



It was funny because while Shannon was trying to check in, we were trying to get on the wifi. So I went up to a lady at the rest and said, "wifi code?" while pointing to my screen. She looked at me and said, "Go to the business center." in perfect English. I felt pretty stupid. 



When we got to our hotel, we tried to check in, but it was only 1:30, and check in wasn't until 3. So we ran down to one of the restaurants to eat lunch. We had PIZZA, which wasn't quite like home, but still tasted amazing. So glad to have that.



We checked in to our rooms and we have a room with three beds, so I'm rooming with Annie and Makenna, to give Shannon a break after a long week. ;) she definitely deserves it.



We decided today to not do anything... Everyone is just so tired and we thought it'd be too much to go out to the city. So we went and looked for dinner later and we just went back to our rooms and we've been hanging out. Which is honestly nice because we've been on the go nonstop side we left Shanghai. It's nice to have a break and to rest up. Tomorrow we're going to tour the city on our own. It should be fun, and I'm looking forward to it.



If you get a chance please pray for our guide, Fawn. She's taking a 22 hour train ride back home today (and I thought we had it bad!), and she's had a long week. So pray everything goes smoothly and she stays sane ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment