Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Second Home - Chenzhou!

Ahh, here I sit in my second home... listening to a lady sing in the market outside our window, chewing some mentos, and drinking my favorite Chenzhou juice.


 Today was a pretty busy day. We got up and out the door by 5:15AM and drove to the airport to catch a flight to Changsha. Our flight was nice and short, and we didn't have any complications. Our luggage even arrived with us this year!


We noticed starting in the Shanghai airport that everyone just stares. I know that they do... I mean, they have in previous years, but I guess I've just forgotten. At one point I looked to Elyssa and said, "Did I forget to put on my pants today or something?"  Shannon said they should've moved us up to the empty first class seats because we're so popular.


After our flight we found our bus driver and stopped at McDonald's for lunch. Karla, Elyssa, and I all ordered a really cool McFlurry that was oreo and mocha tasting. I don't usually like coffee, but this was good!


We hopped on our bus and we were off. We learned that our bus driver likes to honk his horn... at EVERY driver. They were all honking back at us having a good time, like some kind of driver communication. I mean, hey, you gotta keep yourself entertained somehow, right? 


We got to Chenzhou in about 4 hours (he was speedy), but once in the city our driver couldn't find our hotel. So at one point he got off and asked for directions, and a man came on with us and showed us where to go.


We pulled up to the hotel and I walked inside and tears filled my eyes. It just felt so right. I didn't want to be the sucker that cried at everything... but I couldn't help it. It felt like home, and I was so glad to be back. By the time we got all of our stuff and got into our room, it was about 3:30. We were rushing as much as we could so we could get to the orphanage. 


We got to the lobby and our guide looked at Elyssa and I and said, "Do you remember the way?" Challenge accepted! We lead the group with no problem to the orphanage. Charlie was our help, as well. Some of the others commented on how fast we were walking and how confident we were in where we were going and Charlie said, "I visit this place in my dreams!"


When we walked in to the orphanage I started getting teary eyed again. Charlie was bawling, which made things even worse. Mrs. Wang, the director, met us and looked at the 6 who have been before and smiled big and waved. 


We had our usual meeting to get "the rules", except it was a little different this time. This time the director told us how grateful she was for us, and the love we've shown them over the years.


And that's when I lost it.


She was glad to see us coming back for our 2nd and 3rd year. She thanked us for helping advocate for the kids, knowing that we helped a lot find homes. Also she was so thankful for us helping throughout the year (bumbos and Chenzhou Christmas), and said that it showed that we really do care.


Which is such an answer to prayer. Even the simple things we do like that will show our love, more importantly His love. 


Overall, we could tell she was very happy to have us back and very, very grateful. 


And pretty much everyone was crying at that point.


Molly turned to me and said, "I can see why you have to come back, already!" And it's so true. The simple things we do can make the hugest impact. And I am so happy to see that He is working in ways we never thought possible a few years ago. He is good!


AND, she told us that we can stay longer this year! YAY! We're visiting the orphanage at 8-11:30 and then 3-5:30 everyday. So that gives us a lot more time then last year, which is great. I can see that our relationship with the orphanage is growing and they're starting to trust us more, which is wonderful. Trust with an orpanage director is not easily won in China.


Once the director said we were done and asked if we wanted to see the kids, there wasn't any response but chairs scooting backwards. That made the director laugh.


Upstairs we could hear the kids all laughing and giggling and as we turned the corner they all were smiling. Tears, once again, filled my eyes at the sight of "our" kids and "our" nannies. 


There were some new kids that I'd never seen before... mostly older, which breaks my heart. I'm hoping that most were just in foster care... but I know that at least one was brand new to the orphanage, and it breaks my heart to even think how he got there.


Today they were all CRAZY. Like, I've never seen them so wild. They were hanging all over us and running around. So crazy they tried to pull my pants down a few times... no joke. Lots of hitting, specifically from this one boy who seemed to think it was funny. The nanny said he has a disorder where he can't control himself... but it was rough. He was really strong. I was shocked by their behavior though. I've never seen them as out of control as they were. I'm hoping that we just caught them at a bad time and they were just all hyper. We also didn't bring any activities for them, so the only toys to them were us. Praying for calmer children tomorrow.


The little girl with down syndrome was there today, and she ran to me and gave me the biggest hug and wouldn't let go. She was just so sweet. Looked at me and tried to repeat whatever I said, "Hello", "Ni Hao". It was so sweet. She wouldn't let go. 


There was also a new little boy who had some special needs, I need to figure out what it is. He was so skinny, but his face looked like a cute old grandpa. He was so sweet and gentle. He would walk up to everyone and then tap them gently and either ask to shake your hand or if you could hold him. I love him so.


Will was there. When we walked up and he saw us he ran and hid. After visiting with a lot of the other kids I went and looked for him hiding and he was acting funny. I think he was trying to be funny, but he kept acting super shy. He would run away but then try to get my attention in other ways. He's getting very big. I saw a boy wearing the shirt he wore last year and it was so much smaller than the one he's wearing! Crazy how fast kids grow up. He's very smart and clever, too. At one point I said, "whaaaaat?!" to him and he repeated it, "Whaaaaat?!" and laughed. He did the same thing to Shannon, and then made the "a-ok" sign with his hands and went, "OKAY". I think he's learned this at school. Glad to see the rewards of our education sponsorship...ha! He's getting very clever. One thing Shannon and I noticed is that he was limping on his leg a little bit more than I remember. I think whatever it may be is getting worse, probably because he doesn't have physical therapy.


The little girl with severe CP, Sky, was there today sitting on a bench. Elyssa went over to sit with her for a bit and she was smiling so big. After awhile I went to sit with her. I touched her hand to hold it and she grabbed it tight, and I put my fingers between hers and she loved it. I rubbed her hands to show her some love. I noticed that she's able to move a bit better now. She can sit up and bend her legs in front of her on her own, as well as prop herself up on her own. Last year she would be stuck in a hunched position for awhile unless someone helped her move. It was so wonderful to see the improvement, and to see how happy she was. AH, this girl has a special place in my heart. After sitting there awhile I was going to get off to play with the others, and so I gave her a kiss on the top of her head and she just smiled the biggest smile I've seen and laughed a little too. 


GAH. I can't even tell you the tears that came out of my eyes. 


The simplest things, like a kiss in the head, can change someone's attitude, day, and maybe even life. It just made me happy and sad by this because she doesn't get it very often. 


I'm going to try and make an effort to LOVE HARD, as our team has been saying, on her. This sweet girl has made her way into my heart and I love her so.


News with the babies really quick...Shawn's baby, Su, is SO big now. He's more responsive and likes to be tickled. He's kicking his feet a lot, which is good.  Katie's baby, Al, got his cleft lip repaired! I didn't even recognize him with it fixed, he looks like a new baby. AND he can eat a lot better now. I'm sure he's loving that. 


There were a lot of new babies, too. Two in particular were very small... like sickly skinny. One wouldn't eat her bottle at meal time, though. We tried to get her but it was too hard. I feel helpless, because she needs it SO badly. They look premature, but they're actually one now and are still very small.


Anyways, by the end of the day my braided hair was torn out and shirt stretched, but it was totally worth it. I love all those kids so much... and I'm glad we were given another half day with them as a blessing.


We walked back to our hotel and ate there. I think we ALL loved the food, which was good. We finally got our bread with the sweetened condensed milk... SO good to have those back.


After dinner we went to the market to get waters and food. I stocked up on my oreos and juice. When I was waiting in line to check out a man came up to me and started speaking English to me. I know he was so proud that he could speak to me... and he should be! He was pretty good, and we almost had a full conversation. I was impressed that he knew so much.


Anyways, I'm falling asleep as I type. So, to wrap up today... emotional. But I'm so glad we were able to go to the orphanage today. Pray that everything goes well tomorrow, that the kids aren't so hyper! And that it will be COOLER (it's hot outside and we can't seem to get our air conditioning very cool). Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it! Goodnight to all!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm an online friend of Shannon's. I just wanted to thank you for sharing your precious heart! The tears flowed as I read your post from today. Please know you all are being bathed in prayer and that every second you are with those babies and children they see and touch a piece of our Lotd Jesus. Wishing i was along with you. Sending you all the biggest hugs! Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about all the kiddos you remember! I can't wait to see some pictures! Praying for you all daily!

    ReplyDelete