Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day Six - Chenzhou Orphanage

Will and Me (taken on my phone)








I'm going to start out by saying sorry. Haha. Someone apparently emailed Shannon and told her my blog was very detailed... I hope I'm not boring anyone. But, as much as this is for ya'll to know what's going on, its for me to remember this trip, as well. So, I'm sorry if I'm putting anyone to sleep at home. Haha.

Today was a very good day--I made Ellie smile, and I got to see Will:)

Our morning routine was normal... I don't think I need to go through that;)

When we got to the orphanage and got upstairs, I looked down the hall and Will was waiting for me in a doorway. I walked up and he immediately took my hand and wrapped my arm around him. We walked inside the room and the kids were everywhere. They're all so crazy, and all want attention. The oldest girl who we met last year was there, and I was so excited to see her. I think she remembered us, too. I went and gave her a big hug:)

I stooped down to tie one little girl's shoe for a minute and about 5 kids attacked me trying to give me hugs. Haha. Will immediately got jealous and started pulling kids off of me, took my hand, and walked me away.

I took some pictures, and when he saw my camera out, he must have remembered last year, and took it and started clicking away (it was still on my neck, mom, don't worry!). He loves that camera.

All the older kids were told to go downstairs for something, but Will wouldn't go. I started walking with the rest of them and he stayed put. So I went back with him and hung out. We just sat in a room with a nanny and babies hooked up to some IVs, and played.

Eventually some nannies where rambling something to him and pointing out the window. Shannon's brother and girlfriend were there (Shane and Elisa) and she said they were telling him to go outside. So I walked down the hall again and he wouldn't follow. I looked out the window and it looked like they were loading the kids in cars to go somewhere. The assistant director came over and looked, I kind of asked him where they were going in "sign language", and he responded, "play". So I guess to a playground or something? I don't know, because it was rainy this morning and pretty wet.
It made me kind of happy that my little guy wanted to stay with me, though. :')

We went into the baby room to be with everyone else. We decided to do our "circle time" with the babies again, singing and doing hand motions with them. I didn't have a baby, but Will and I joined in anyways. They have a mat we sit on with the babies (its cushioned so they won't hurt themselves), but we have to take our shoes off to sit there. I sat down on it, and told Will to take his shoes off and sit, as well. He wouldn't come sit--I think he's embarrassed of his feet (he has no toes) so he refused to take his shoes off. I felt so bad for him, the poor kid.

He seemed to enjoy singing and dancing along. We did the Hokey Pokey, and he enjoyed that a lot.

After that, I pulled out my phone to show Will some pictures of my family. He seemed very interested, and loved seeing my siblings. He looked through all the pictures, and when friends would appear in a picture, he'd point to them and then point to one of the team members in the room. It was hard to explain that none of the people there were in my phone. Haha. I'm pretty sure he thinks Shannon is my mom, too. :P

Of course, he figured out the camera on here and went at it, taking pictures like crazy. I'm pretty sure I have about 50 pictures he took all of random things.

After sitting there for awhile he looked at my bag and made little glasses with his hands, so I pulled out my sunglasses and let him wear them. He was so happy. He put them on and started posing for me to take pictures. He and Tim went at it with the silly poses. Such a funny kid.

I also had gum in my bag, so I pulled out a piece and let him have it (he doesn't look like he gets to brush his teeth at all :/). He got very excited. Shannon gave him a lollipop and he seemed happy. He also looked through my bag and found my Luna bar and took that, and took the rest of my gum. Haha. I didn't mind, I have plenty more... And whose it gonna hurt? It was just funny to me how comfortable he was doing so.

I looked over at all the babies, and Shane and Elisa were playing with Ellie. She was just laughing and smiling like crazy. :) She definitely likes Chinese people... Haha. She's such a cutie.

After awhile Will and I had nothing really to do. I mean, he played with some baby toys, but there's not much up there for him to entertain himself. I kept trying to bring him downstairs to we could go into their play area/school room, but he wouldn't. Tim says, "he may be scared you're going to leave." Maybe so, its just sad. We made do with what we could find. After awhile he was content just sitting and resting on me. :)

Time came for us to leave, so we did. Goodbye wasn't so bad. He understood, and went right back into his room.

When we got downstairs the older kids were just getting back from their field trip to who knows where. The older girl was there and I went over and gave her a hug and kisses on her head and she just laughed and laughed. :) she's a sweet heart.

We got to drive back to the hotel for some odd reason. In the car we had some intense Chinese music playing... It was like their type of pop song and there was rapping in the middle and everything. Quite the sound to hear.

When we arrived at the hotel, there were lots of people. We walked in and there were two brides--one on each sides of the doors. Fun said that there were 3 weddings taking place today, because it was wedding day! ;) (apparently all the wedding have to happen on Saturdays...? Haha). I think both the brides were pretty mad because we were stealing their thunder--everyone was more interested in us than them. Haha!

For lunch we went to KFC--this time our guide chose for us to eat there. I didn't mind, though the food hasn't really started getting old to me yet. When we left the hotel (just me, Elyssa, and Fun--the rest of the group decided to take naps) it was POURING rain. We tried to cross the street, but on one side of the curb there was about 6 inches (legit, too. I just confirmed with Elyssa ;)), so we couldn't get to the sidewalk... Unless we wanted to walk through and get sopping wet and about 20 diseases. JK! It seriously looked like it was going to flood, though. We walked all the way around the block to get there. Elyssa and I were both in flip flops and kept slipping around like crazy. I almost fell flat on my butt a few times. Haha. It was crazy.

After lunch I was tired, so I took a nap while Elyssa blogged *cough cough* played around on her computer *cough* (we've had this running joke because she NEVVVER blogs and gets upset at the end of the day that she doesn't. She's crazy).

We stuffed our bags full of activities to do with the older kids... But found out when we got there that we couldn't play with them that day. Apparently there were some other volunteers there today, so we just hung out with the babies.

I found Ellie and picked her up and sat her down. No tears! We found some toys and she went about playing. She loves toys that squeak. After awhile I laid on my stomach and was at her eye level, then. She looked at me and grabbed some toys and put them on my face. I began to shake my head crazily, and she just gave me the biggest smile. She's such a beautiful baby. She kept doing that for awhile. Then she put the toy down and took her hand and started touching my eyes and my nose. Then she put her fingers in my mouth, and was interested in my teeth. Only problem is...

I'm a germ freak.

I tried to put up with the curiosity as much as I could, but I couldn't handle it after about a minute. That was brave for me. Haha.

Food came and every single baby in the room got food except for her. She sat there waiting forever. I felt so bad for her. As soon as that first bowl of congee comes out and is handed to a baby, so immediately stops playing and just waits. And she seems to always be the last baby to receive the food, ha. Poor thing.

And then the funny thing is, when she gets it... She's such a slow poke eating it. She takes a mouthful and slowly swallows it as she watches all the other babies play. Its kind of funny.

The time came for us to leave, so we did. On the way home we stopped at a hospital, the place where Shannon's daughter was found, to take pictures. There were multiple Chinese people who whipped out their phones and started taking pictures. We also stopped at a small shop and bought some cokes--and the same thing. Some lady was recording us trying to communicate with the store owner. They probably think we're so stupid, haha. But that was the first time I ever saw them take pictures/video of us.

We ate at the hotel tonight, and the food was good, as always.

After dinner we had our devotional time. Shannon's brother shared what he's doing here, which I won't post for security reasons. Then we sang some praise and worship songs. It was really a great and peaceful time.

Tomorrow it looks like we'll only be able to be at the orphanage in the morning, and we'll be playing with the older kids--and we have a lot of things to cram into one morning with them. Ha. I don't know if we'll get to it. In the afternoon I think we're going shopping with the director for our big donation for the orphanage, and then Fun with be taking us for some fun shopping along the way, I guess. We'll see as tomorrow unfolds, though.

Until then, Goodnight! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment