Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day Four - Chenzhou Orphanage Day!

Today I woke up very excited. It was our first day at the Chenzhou orphanage! Though I must admit, I was a little nervous the kids and nannies wouldn't remember me...

We had some trouble at breakfast. Our guide last year usually ordered for us, but this year we were on our own. It was Dim Sum, where they bring a cart around and you look to see what food you want and then they stamp a card. Well, we had trouble flagging down a cart, and when we finally did, figuring out what kinds of food we wanted. Haha.

Afterwards we met the assistant director to take us to the orphanage. It was funny because he met us yesterday at the train station, and he kept looking at Elyssa and I like he might have recognized us. So today we had our guide ask and he said that he did.

We took the walk to the orphanage, and it was cool...seeing it all again. I remembered how to get there for the most part. And I was very interested to see how the are has changed and not changed in just one year.

People still stare at us as if they've never seen a white person before--OH WAIT--they probably haven't. Its funny to see their expressions as we walk through the streets. At the restaurant tonight all the waiters would bring in food and stare at us. Others would walk by, see us, and stop. It's just crazy for me to see, since in America we see every nationality almost everyday.

When we got to the orphanage, we sat down with the director and she told us about the building and what times we'll be there. It looks like from 8:30-11 we'll be playing with the babies, then we'll take a break and come back from 3-5 to play with the older kids.

We walked around the orphanage and saw a few rooms. One was the infants. I was playing with one of them, and then turned around and the head nanny, my absolute favorite, was there. She looked at me, smiled, and held her arms out to give me a hug. I wanted to cry. She's so sweet, and I love her so much. It made my day that she remembered who I was.

All of the nannies from the baby room kept looking at me when I got there. Our guide told them I had been here last year and they all nodded as if they remembered.


We went into the baby room and saw about 15+ kids. We played around with lots of them, giving one-on-one time with the precious children. Many parents who are in the process of adopting have contacted us asking to get pictures for them. So with the help of the nannies we were able to do that--so parents, be ready for lots of pictures! :)

One little girl who is being adopted didn't want anything to do with us. Anytime we would touch her she'd cry (I'm sure she'd never seen anyone like us). I tried to move her away from one kid who was on her back kicking, and out came the water works. I just sat her on the floor and rubbed her back for the longest time. I'm sure she hated it, but she eventually stopped crying, and we sat there together. Feeding time came, and I had the privilege to feed her the congee they had for her. This little girl scarfed down a HUGE bowl of this stuff. She got to the point where she was used to me and would actually look at me with a pleasant face... Not like she was about to burst out crying. By the time we had to leave, she was fairly happy. I got up to go and she started looking all around the room for me. I thought, what a great break through. She's getting out of her comfort zone and she's not scared anymore. It'll hopefully make her adoption that much easier.

We went to the market to get some water, our wonderful juices we found last year, and the amazing peanut butter and chocolate oreos. We're pretty stoked about those.

We ate lunch at the hotel, and it was very good. I sat at a table with a lovely bunch of girls and we had a grand old time. I love our team so much:) at the end they brought out our steamed bread and SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK. We've had the bread on this trip before, but up until that point no one knew what it was. Elyssa and I were over joyed. It was the one food that I was dying to have. (For those of you who went last year... I bet you're jealous reading this;)) it was a big hit with the rest of our team as well.

After lunch we had a little time to go back to our rooms and chill. I wrote a little bit and Elyssa blogged. By the time we were done with that it was time to leave.

Back at the orphanage we got to see the older kids. As I walked into the doors I wasn't sure whether I wanted to see my little guy (I named him Will last trip) who I fell in love with or not. I was nervous he wouldn't remember... But all was excited to see him. But then, if he wasn't there I assumed he would have been adopted, which would have been great for him.

I walked in, scanned the room, and he was gone.

My heart sank.

Then I thought that maybe he had been adopted. Someone yelled to me, "megan! You're on their wall!" They still had the picture frames they made last year, and I'm in Will's picture.

I just about wanted to cry.

I walked over and looked around. Charlie--you're still up there with your little guy. And Deena, you're with a bunch of kids :)

I pointed to the picture and asked if Will was still there. I wasn't sure in my heart if I wanted him to be adopted, or here. I'll admit... My greed took over for a minute and I wanted him to bee there... Just somewhere else in the building so I could see him. I just miss him so much.

The nanny said he's at school, so that's why he's not here. So... Will I see him? Hopefully. They said on Saturday he will be there... So hopefully that's true. I need to see that boy.

I recognized all of the faces in that room from last year except for maybe two. Its sad to see all those kids who are so precious, just another great kid, who haven't been adopted yet. They're still here...

One woman, Christy, shared an amazing point tonight. She said at one point she was playing with a little girl and she asked how old the girl was. She's 8. She told us tonight, "I have a son whose 8. And to see that... Its just like, your life... Its just so different." Isn't that the truth? It wasn't the kids faults or problems who brought them here, it was just the circumstances in which they were born into. Its not their fault. They don't deserve it. No one does.

Anyways we pulled out the crafts that Art for the Nations sent us and played. We had lots of glue and cotton balls and glitter. Evvvverywhere. I was helping the crazy girl of the bunch, who is hilarious--i remember her from last year, and she just kept on squirting out blobs of glue and pouring pounds of glitter on and it playing with it. HA. When I helped her we kept joking around about it and she just laughed her head off. She's got the cutest smile that just spread like wildfire. I love it so much.

I love them all.

Mom and dad, you wanna adopt again. Pleeeeeaaaaase???

Anyhow, the time went really short and it was time to leave. I'm afraid the time with the older kids will be too short for me. Hah we'll see though.

Because of issues with the language barrier, we have been assigned a new guide. Her name is Fang, but she told us to call her Fun. We all keep saying now, "we can't go anywhere until we have Fun!" Haha, I know, we're all so cheesy.

We went to eat dinner at a dumpling restaurant. I'm not one to complain about the sights and smells of China, but when we walked in it smelt almost like puke. Legit. That's one of the worst smells ever. But once we got halfway up the steps, it began to smell a tiny bit better--just like the restroom. Hahahah.

We ate really well tonight. Probably the best meal so far. Everyone enjoyed it thoroughly. :)

After dinner we met for devotions, singing, and prayer. we invited Fun to join us, and I'm not sure what she thought. We'll see if she continues to come.

I just finished my shower. It was gross to get in with the hot water and being able to smell yourself. It was just the smell of baby sweat/pee and my sweet together, and it grossed me out. Haha. I was happy to be clean.

Now I'm typing out this super long post on my blackberry, and my poor fingers are killing me. Haha. So I'm going to go sleep some.

Please keep praying;)

3 comments:

  1. This makes me so happy. You don't even know. The part about the head nanny giving you a hug, I literally started crying. She was my favorite. Was the oldest girl there? The one that went to dinner with us on our last night? I miss her the most. I regret not spending more time with her last year. And the part where you talked about doing the crafts with the crazy girl...I could picture it all in my head and I had a HUGE smile on my face. Give them extra love from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the photos. Thank you so much. You are such an angel for getting those photos. God bless you and your team. I would like to hear any thing you can tell us about our son Austin (YuYang). Thank you again, the Grummons family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have tears in my eyes reading this post....... I am dying to know who "Will" is..... if he is the little boy I am thinking of, I was praying he was adopted by now!!! I am so happy you are there spreading the love to all the Chenzhou children..... I left a piece of my heart there in October when I brought "Chen Wen Yi" home.........and I would give a limb to go back and bring another beautiful Chenzhou child home!! Please send my love to all of the Nannies, the director, and all of thos beautiful kids. I am so proud of you...... make the most of your time there and I will look forward to the many photos you will be sharing when you return.

    xoxo,

    Lisa
    www.thelongroadtochina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete