Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Wednesday, July 10th


I used to pray that God would feed the hungry, or do this or that, but now I pray that he will guide me to do whatever I’m supposed to do, what I can do. I used to pray for answers, but now I’m praying for strength.”


— 

Mother Teresa 

Mother Teresa is one of my heroes. I look up to her in so many ways. I found this quote today on my break and I just felt like it fit so perfectly how I’m feeling right now.

This morning Amy and I were curious to see if the heart babies would be back and what information they would have on them, and if they’d be willing to share.

We went up to the orphanage and saw that baby Charlotte was getting ready to be put on an IV. The nanny in the room, who is Nathan’s nanny, saw me and came over to give me a big hug. She always has a smile on her face, and is always so cheery. Seeing Charlotte there, I quickly went to find Sarah and see if she was there. She was in the older kids’ bed room hooked up to an IV. Sweet as ever, just sitting there. I just love that little angel so much.

I walked back to the baby room to see who else was in there, and Nathan’s nanny had just finished changing him when she picked him up and handed him to me. So I brought him down to the playroom. When I got there Steve was holding papers, and he told us they were evaluations on the heart babies from last night. He read the parts that he knew how to translate (medical terms are so hard to translate between Chinese and English). He said that Charlotte’s heart condition is very severe, and the surgery is very complicated. We kind of thought that, because she’s blue. She has a few different things that she may need multiple surgeries. Sarah’s isn’t so severe. He told us that the orphanage said we could take pictures if we wanted and then send them to the doctors in Beijing. So you better believe we jumped on that. So exciting.

Nathan working on those core muscles
I played with Nathan for a bit. We’ve been working on getting him to sit up, but he just doesn’t have the strength. He’s just little. But we propped him up so he would sit up. He’d start to fall forward a little bit, but we hovered over him and prop him up.

Blossom - is she not adorable?
Shannon bought a cake for baby Blossom because her birthday is in a few days. So we all gathered around for the party. It was Nathan, Minnie, and Angelina’s first birthday party that they had ever been to. They didn’t last for long. All three of them fell asleep half way through. Such party animals.

I gave Nathan to Elyssa to hold because the nannies handed me cake to feed to the babies. I fed Ellie for a little bit, but she wasn’t very hungry for cake, so I gave Sarah (teammate) my piece of cake. By this time we decided it was time to go play with the older kids. So everyone took babies back to their cribs and I stayed back and picked up toys and cameras.




 

By the time I had picked up everything and walked into the big kid room, most of the kids had already been brought outside, so I stayed with Joy who was helping Carrie (Caroline) walk to the elevator. We rode down and when I got off one of the nannies had a big pot of mush that she was bringing up to the babies. So I held the door open for her (those elevators always close so quickly here) and the nanny said thank you. I tried to say “you’re welcome”, but must have failed miserably. Because Joy looked at me and corrected me saying, “yea xie xie”, and I said it and she laughed a little bit. She corrected me once again, and then I repeated it and she clapped and gave me a big hug. :) Just got a little Mandarin lesson from Joy today. Love her.

When we got outside there wasn’t much going on. Yesterday Kathryn and I bought Sydney a dress because she’s always dressed in boys clothes. And she literally looks like a boy. So we gave her the dress, which was fun. Throughout the end of the day she put her shorts back on underneath it because she likes that. But now she looks like a girl, haha.

Since there wasn’t much going on, Amy and I went back up again to get some tattoos to give the kids. And then we had to cut them all up, which took quite a bit of time.






We took them outside and discretely started showing the kids one by one the tattoos, but then all the kids seemed to find out and they all went crazy. Haha. They loved them, though. Dora was working her way to getting herself some tattoo sleeves. Taylor was getting them all over the place. Legs, arms, face, you name it.

Our guide, Steve
Every day that we’re outside this older lady with some mental disability will come out and stand next to Steve (our guide) and sing to him. The first day we could tell he felt a little awkward, but now he’s so sweet and will sit with her and listen and then sing back to her sometimes. Steve’s awesome.

We brought the kids back upstairs eventually and got them settled in and had to leave.




A few of us went to the market before lunch to get drinks and what not. We were checking out and all these Chinese people kept trying to cut us in line. They’re so rude and unaware of their space sometimes. It was interesting. Then Danielle wanted to go and look at the shoe stores downstairs, so we walked around for a bit. A lady who spoke very good English came up and started helping us. I told her that her English was very good and she just giggled and said thank you. I’ve noticed that more people than I expected speak English here. KFC has quite a few workers whose English is fairly good. I’ve been impressed.

We decided not to go back to the orphanage in the afternoon because we were going shopping for shoes, underwear and other things for the kids then. Though some of us didn’t go with because we didn’t want to get in the way or overcrowd everyone.

They came back with a lot of clothes for the kids, but didn’t find the shoes they were looking for, for the price that we wanted. So, we’re hoping to find another store for those.

We went to KFC for dinner tonight. We got lots of stares and people asking for pictures. The usual. We also go ice cream which was wonderful.

I haven’t been feeling 100% today. Little sick. Woke up with a sore throat, and another sore in my mouth which makes it hard to eat anything. I also started reacting to something (I don’t know what… because it came out of the blue) and my eye started puffing up. But that’s nothing benadryl can’t fix. I’ve been exhausted all day. So I’m not sure what’s up. But I’d appreciate prayers. Tomorrow is the last day, so I’m hoping to feel better for that.

The orphanage director still has not signed the consent for the heart babies transfer to New Hope in Beijing.  PLEASE pray with me that she signs soon.  I think baby Charlotte will need heart surgery soon if anything can be done for her!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment