Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tuesday, July 9th

BIG news from today. Big things are happening with the heart babies, and I’m so excited. God is so good!

Today at the orphanage we decided to switch things up a little bit. Shannon thought it would be better to spend an hour in with the babies and then the rest of the time with the big kids.

This morning it seemed like all of the babies were on an IV. They say they’re sick with a cold or fever, so they’ve been giving them the fluids to make them better.

We grabbed a few babies and brought them down to the baby playroom. We sat and played with the babies for a bit. Nathan must be getting new teeth in because he LOVES to chew on his fingers and mine. By the end of the hour I had drool all down my arms, haha.

When the time came to bring them back to their cribs, I set Nathan down on his back, and he immediately flipped over on his stomach and looked up at me. I gave him a little kiss goodbye and he looked at me and started to cry. It broke my heart.

I walked into the room where the older kids were, and most of our team had brought them down already. Carrie was left in the room, so I waited with her while she used her walker to get to the elevator. Sarah decided to stay with me and help. Carrie does well with the walker, but she’s still a little slow with it. She’s just not used to being able to walk. I think once she uses it a lot, she’ll be able to run around with it.

Once we got outside, all the kids were blowing bubbles. Annie brought really cool Gymboree bubbles and bubble blowers, and the kids love those. Little Ray loves to blow bubbles. Drew kept trying again today. He kept spitting all his drool at the blower, but he eventually got some bubbles out and he was SO proud! :)








 

 
I sat down and sweet Cameron came up to me again today. So I started to rub his back a little bit. He absolutely loves it. He eventually came and sat in my lap, once again, and laid on my shoulder. He’s such a sweetheart. Just wants that physical touch. I had Julia blow bubbles to him and he LOVED it. His face lit up and he smiled so big.

When he got tired of sitting in my lap and left, little Penelope came and sat in my lap. I rubbed her back, as well. She kept looking at me with a tiny bit of a smile while I rubbed her back. She loved that, too. Soon I started to run my hands through her hair, and then I scratched her legs a little bit, and she reacted with a big smile. All they want is that physical touch. That soft touch of simply getting their back rubbed or scratched—something that we get all the time at home. I eventually warmed her up to letting me rub her belly, and then I started tickling her. She laughed and laughed. That’s the first time that I’ve seen her open up this trip, and it did good for my heart to see that. She’s a sweetheart. She’s very quiet, but she’s sweet.

Julia had given little Lena one of her bracelets yesterday, and today she was wearing it as a ponytail on the top of her head.  I kept calling her Cindy Lu Hoo all day. She was so cute.

Eventually she saw something that caught her attention so she got up and ran off to find it. Annie had recorded a video that Jian’s (Macy’s) mom had posted on her blog with pictures of them getting Jian and then coming home. Which, I will say, made me cry so hard the first time I saw it. The song that she put the pictures to was the Ho Hey cover by Lennon and Maisy, which we’ve been listening to in our rooms everyday throughout this trip, and the song is just SO sweet. Anyways, I went to get Annie’s camera to show Jian’s nanny, Joy. When I went up to see her and show her the video she recognized the pictures of Jian’s mom and dad and said, “Oh! Jian!” And I smiled. She and another one of the nannies sat and watched it. They smiled and laughed at some of the pictures. They loved seeing the one of her swimming. They asked me on a few where they were, and when they saw the picture of their house they went, “oohh! So pretty!” and smiled when they saw her looking in her room. They again told me that they missed her very much, but they were so happy that she was happy in America. It was so sweet.

I stood with Joy and then rubbed her arm a little bit and she smiled and laughed, because she must’ve been ticklish. She made a face like, “Ohh that feels good!” So I kept doing it a bit and she kept laughing. It was funny. Then she decided to scratch my back a little bit, too. She is precious.


Precious Little Sarah
I eventually brought the big kids inside and back up to their room because it was time to leave. When we got into their room I noticed sweet Sarah was in the crib lying down. I went over to give her a kiss and noticed that she was so clean. They must’ve bathed her today. So I gave her kisses all around.

We ate at the hotel again today. After lunch Julia, Makenna and I went to get ice cream from KFC again… because the rest of the team had gone before lunch without us. *sigh* But it still tasted so good. Can’t get over it.

Back at the orphanage we spent most of our afternoon with the babies. As we walked up to the orphanage I could hear little Sarah’s cry. She has such a distinctive and loud cry. It’s so pitiful. When we got upstairs I went to the big kid room to get Sarah and then brought her into the playroom again. She had big alligator tears on her cheeks. :’( The nannies had propped her up in the crib to be sitting up, so she didn’t like that at all and cried. In the baby room I rocked her around the room. She always has to be rocking or bouncing up and down… she just likes that stimulation. Otherwise she just cries. When she’s lying down she rocks her head back and forth and kicks her legs a lot. But if I’m not rocking her while I’m holding her, and she can’t rock her head at all, she starts to get fussy. So I have to always be rocking/bouncing and walking. I walked by the air conditioning unit a few times and kind of lingered and every time she would wince a little bit and get fussy. I guess they’re just so used to it being hot (like, her shirt was literally soaked with sweat today), that when they get cold it shocks them. Oh well.

As I was walking around with Sarah, Amy was walking and talking with baby Charlotte. We gave them a little pep talk and I prayed for them as I walked around. Amy told little Sadie, our cheerleader, that she needed to do a cheer for Sarah and Charlotte, that they need to fight! Haha, I love it. It made me laugh. Love her sense of humor. So thankful for Amy and Julia.

As we were still rocking, we got some GREAT news about the heart babies. After my meeting with Helen yesterday, I emailed  Cathy at Show Hope with Sarah and Charlotte's (the two heart babies) information and the orphanage’s contact information, and told Helen that these were my “friends”, and they’d be contacting them. Today Helen came into the play room with a few sheets of paper and asked us if this email she had printed off was from my “friends” I had told her about. Amy read the email aloud to Julia and I. Tears welled up in my eyes as I read all that was being offered—all that these babies could receive from these wonderful people. I told her these were the people I was talking about, and asked her what she thought about the email, if she was open to that, etc. She said she was, and that they were going to get a CT scan on the girls and then send it to New Hope (not quite sure it was a CT scan, pretty sure they meant some kind of heart scan, because things get lost in translation). We were all so excited. Helen said the director still has to approve it, and that she will think it over.



Beautiful Baby Charlotte

Baby Charlotte needs heart surgery to make those toes a healthy pink!


So here’s where you all come in: PRAY. Pray that the director is open to this, that she sees this as a great opportunity for the babies. I genuinely believe that the director is trying to help the kids and she wants what’s best for them. So I think that she will be open to it. We’re just praying and believing that she is. Our God has already done so much already, we’re believing that He will take it all the way. I believe He can. Please pray with us?

So we were so excited about everything. All three of us had tears in our eyes and were just beaming.

Sarah had started crying while we were talking to Helen and getting super fussy, and was tired of me holding her. So I sat her on a cushion on the ground. She started grinding her teeth again, so I tried to find a teething toy for her, but she wouldn’t chew on it for too long. But she was grabbing it and trying to get it in her mouth for a little while. I was so excited about that.

Little Sarah (a tiny 2 1/2 years old) on her way to the hospital with Joy
I went to pick up another baby who was crying and then Joy (the head nanny) came running into the playroom and checked Sarah’s diaper and then ran out of the room with her. She was carrying a bag so I looked over at Shannon and Steve and they said that they were bringing the babies to the hospital RIGHT THEN to get the scan. Which is HUGE. It was literally 20 minutes after I had confirmed with Helen. PRAISE GOD.

So I ran out to the hallway to see if they were bringing baby Charlotte, too. Julia said, “oh they just went to change her diaper.” And when I told her and Amy that they were bringing her to the hospital, we were all just so excited. We waved them off, Julia ran to give her baby a kiss and they were off. I prayed a silent prayer that everything would go okay. GOD IS GOOD.

We all stood there in the hallway completely amazed, tears in our eyes, praising God. He is so good. There is hope. We’ve come a long way this week…from believing there was nothing that I could do for these babies, to making steps to getting them to receive the care they need.

I’m so excited. I can’t even express how happy I am right now. Ahhhhh!

I think it’s a good sign that they were so willing to get the scans done so soon. Hope. There is Hope. HE is our Hope.

I went back to the playroom and played with Nathan for a little bit. He eventually got very sleepy and so I held him and started rocking him. He instantly fell asleep when I picked him up and put him in my arms. His nanny came around a few minutes later with a bottle and told me to wake him up. I tried to wake him up, but he was OUT. I sat him up and tried a bunch of different think and he would not wake up. Finally I got him to open his eyes just briefly enough that I stuck the bottle in his mouth. He sucked it down, half awake, half sleeping. It was the first time he ate his bottle without getting the formula ALL over him.

When he finished I brought him back into the baby room and laid him in his crib. He actually woke up, which was sad. But he was fine. He rolled over and looked all around. On the way out I gave his nanny a hug and told her thank you. She smiled really big. She’s always smiling. She has so much to do with those babies, but she always has a smile on her face. We found out today that she lives about 1 ½ hours away… and she stays here most of the time except for the holidays. I thought that was interesting.

I went into the big kid room and they were playing with some scratch off crafts that Amy had brought. Most of the kids had someone helping them, so I sat down and watched for a little bit. Mia tried to take someone’s camera at one point, so I stepped in and got her away, and hugged her in my lap for a little bit. Then I gave her a kiss on the cheek. She kind of looked at me, studied my eyes for a little bit, and then put her cheek towards my face, like she wanted me to give her another kiss. So I did, and she laughed. One of the nannies had called her over to finish her craft. I looked over at her and she was looking at me. I smiled at her and she smirked a little bit. She would go back to her craft, look up at me, and then see I was smiling at her and smile so big. She repeated that a bunch. Her nanny was saying, “pai pai sho” (that is definitely not how it’s spelled, so sorry about that haha), which I realized from my sister’s Chinese videos was what they say for “clap clap”. I eventually waved Mia over. She kind of just looked at me funny, and then eventually came to sit with me. She would have me scratch some of the paper off, and then she would want me to clap. We did this for a good 20 minutes straight. I’m sure the people around me were so annoyed. I would clap and say, “yayy!” or “clap clap” or “pai pai sho”. She thought it was so funny. And she loved it. When we finished the whole craft, I said it was all done, and she looked at me, we clapped, and then she gave me a big ol’ hug. And wouldn’t let go for awhile. She’s a sweetie.





 

By then Steve was saying, “Okay, time to go!” and so we picked up a little bit. Mia dragged me to the corner of the room where a few other kids were, and she wanted me to keep clapping. So I would clap with them while saying “clap clap” in Chinese. I walked into the playroom to get my stuff, Mia still following me and us both clapping and repeating “clap clap”. She laughed and laughed. Along with a few other kids that we walked by in the hallway.

I said goodbye and she didn’t want to let go of me. But I gave her a kiss and she smiled so big.

Agh. I’m just so overwhelmed with all the good that today brought. God seems to know just what we need and when we need it. And I am SO thankful. Singing praises to God tonight.

I just wanted to thank you all who have prayed with me in this whole pursuit of helping the heart babies. Words cannot express my gratitude to you all. Please continue to pray that things move along and that we can get them moved to New Hope in Beijing where they can get the surgery they need. So excited about what God is doing. So thankful for all my prayer warriors back home.
Sarah thanks you for praying for her!  God is listening, people!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment