Friday, July 12, 2013

Friday, July 12th

It’s the day that we’ve all been dreading since we got here.

The day we would say goodbye. Some of us would say goodbye forever, some it would only be for a year… and some wouldn’t know how long their goodbye would be for.

No matter how long it may be before we see our friends again, or how many times we’ve been before, we were all torn up about it.

We began our day like any other. We were able to sleep in a little bit today because the orphanage didn’t want us there until 9. Which was a huge blessing, because I was up for a long time blogging and packing last night.

Once we got to the orphanage, they had us go straight to floor 9 where we had our party last year. They had lined the tables with a ton of fruit, but we couldn’t eat any of it because they had washed it with water. I guess Joy eventually made Charlie and Kathryn eat some. But I somehow made it out without eating the fruit. I used to feel really bad if we didn’t eat their food, but all the nannies and kids eat it otherwise. And I’m sure if they have even more leftovers, the elderly eat it.

Before the party started and before the kids came up, Amy, Julia, and I pulled the director aside and asked about the heart babies one last time before we left. She told us they were hoping to hear back from the New Hope doctors, and if they were still willing to take the girls. Chenzhou was just worried that Charlotte’s heart was too severe for surgery. I think the director was confused, because New Hope would take them no matter what, even if she wasn’t operable. So I told her she didn’t need to wait, that I talked to my friends there, and they’re just waiting for her to sign the consent forms, and they’ll start travel arrangements right away. She said she was willing to do that, and that she would do that today. I guess during the party she got a call from New Hope saying they were still willing to take the girls. So I think that put the director’s mind at ease, as well. Praise God. I’m just praying that she signed those as soon as she got back today.

I’m just going to say that I’m so thankful for Amy and Julia. They have been so supportive and just as passionate about helping the heart babies as I have been. Amy has been emailing contacts of hers trying to help, as well. Julia loves these babies just as much as me, and she loves them well. I’m so proud of Julia. She is 14, and she is already trying so hard to make a difference in these beautiful babies’ lives. I’m so blessed to call them my friends. I know that God placed them on the team this year to help me with those heart babies. And I couldn’t be more thankful for them.

Soon enough the little kids came upstairs and were so excited to have the party with us. Charlie, my little boy from the first couple of years, has gotten SO big. He looks just like a teenager. He’s so much bigger and just looks older. I was so shocked to see him. They grow up so fast! He came and gave me a big hug. 

His parents gave us a package for him, so Shannon gave it to him. He took out the album and studied every single picture in it. He’s a very shy boy, so he was being very quiet and reserved as he opened it. He later went to show some of the nannies all the pictures that he had gotten. He loved that.

Liz came around with necklaces for everyone. They hall had a four leaf clover in a different type of shape. She gave Elyssa and I one with wings on it. She later told us that it was a kiss from her. :)

Soon enough the party started. A few of the kids went up to do a little dance. I forget what they called it, but it was cute.  For the next dance, the nannies put a hat and sunglasses on Taylor and Dennis. They called it a “Street dance”, which made us laugh, these little Chinese boys trying to do some hip hop and what not. It was really funny. :)

We went up to sing a song. We sang the worship song “You are Holy” by Michael W. Smith. Our guide, Steve, came to a few of our devotions in the hotel room at night where we practiced, and he said he wanted to sing with us. So he came up and sang some, too. The nannies and kids enjoyed it. Shannon had printed off the words in Chinese for them to read along with us. When I had looked down from the stage they were all swaying back and forth, and the director was singing along with us. It was just cool to see.

They sang a few more songs for us, one with the whole orphanage staff and kids. I was doing so well in not crying until the very end of their song of thanks, when they all yelled at the end, “Sank you!!” (which translates to “thank you” ;)).

That’s when all the tears started.

They cut a cake and gave us all HUGE pieces. I couldn’t eat it all, haha. The white chocolate that they had all over the cake was wonderful, though. I could’ve eaten that forever. I don’t usually like white chocolate at home… but the crazy thing about being in a culture that is so different, and eating food that is so different, anything that tastes like home tastes good. Kind of like the KFC, I NEVER eat there at home (I don’t think we even have one in my town…?), or any fast food place for that matter, but it just tastes like home, because it’s fast food. Haha.

We exchanged gifts with the director and nannies. They gave us these really cute volunteer pins made specifically for the Chenzhou orphanage. They also gave us a pen, mirror, and business card. It was so sweet. I loved the pin the most.

Steve told us to go down to floor 5 to say goodbye to the kids. He said, “Okay, you have 10 minutes!” Which definitely wasn’t long enough. Most of us stayed a lot longer than that.

I went to find sweet baby Sarah, who had just gotten off of her IV for the morning. I asked her nanny if I could pick her up, and she said yes. So I picked her up and she didn’t even fuss. I prayed for her and held her tight. And that’s when I lost it. Tears began to fill my eyes as I thanked God for her precious life. And I know that if I care this much about a little girl I barely know… He must love her immeasurably more. I know he has a plan for her life, and I’m glad that I could be a part of it so far.

Sweet little Ray came and pulled up a little chair for me and told me to sit with her. Such a sweetheart. I sat down for a minute, but she doesn’t like it when I sit down. So we bounced for a little bit longer.

I gave her another little kiss and then said goodbye. Tears, tears, tears streaming down my face.

I walked into the baby room to find baby Nathan and Charlotte. Nathan saw me and smiled so big. I scooped him up and gave him some kisses. He smiled so big. I walked over to where baby Charlotte was getting an IV. She was sobbing uncontrollably, which didn’t make it any easier for us to say goodbye. Julia just kept saying, “I just can’t do it. I can’t.”

I set Nathan down, giving him lots of kisses, and went back to baby Charlotte. I told her we were going to help her, and she’d have to go on a little trip so some people could help her and love her so much. I prayed over her, and scratched Julia’s back as we sat with her. She was so tired, which is why she was fussy.

Julia said goodbye to her, and we were all a sobbing mess. I gave Julia a hug, reassuring her we were going to get her help. She would get better, and we’d get to see pictures of her healthy soon enough. I said it to reassure her, but soon found I was trying to convince and comfort myself, too. Those babies will be okay. I believe they will. It’s just so hard to leave it in someone else’s hands. Especially for a control freak like me. But I know that He is in control, He is sovereign, and He always knows what’s best.

I leaned down to give the nanny a hug and thank her again. She was in tears, as well. She loves those babies so much, I can tell. She works so hard day in and day out. And I’m just so thankful for her love.

Others were still saying goodbye to the kids, so I snuck back to see Sarah again. I leaned down to give her another kiss, and Ray came and jumped in my lap. I gave him a big hug and kiss, and told him I loved him. The smile on his face… it breaks my heart now. He is such a sweetheart, and so happy. Love that little boy so much.

I leaned down to give Sarah one last kiss, more tears streaming down my face. Sweet Colin came into the room and gave me a huge hug. He kept hugging me and crying. We sat for a little bit snuggling, but soon enough I could hear Steve’s dreaded voice saying, “Okay! Time to go!” The voice I had heard so many times this week, but this time it hit harder… the last time I knew I would hear it. The last time I knew I would see these kids for a very long time.

So I stood up, Colin still wrapped around my waist, and started to walk into the hallway. I leaned down and gave him a hug, and tried to walk away, but he grabbed my hand and wouldn’t let go. The nannies had to come and pull him off of me.

Heart wrenching.

It’s so hard to say goodbye.

We went down to eat dinner with the director and nannies at the orphanage. We ate quickly as we had to leave for the train soon afterwards. I sat in a daze, just recounting the last few minutes of my life.

Heart wrenching. That’s the best words for it.

After lunch we walked to the hotel to get our stuff and then drive to the bus station. Most of the nannies had come with us to the hotel. In the lobby we were telling them that we wanted them all to come back to the U.S. with us. Amy told Joy she could squeeze in the suitcase and we’d just carry her on with us. She laughed so hard and pretended to curl up small enough. We told them that they were always welcome in America at our homes if they were to come. They said they wanted to come very much… they all wanted their children to marry an American! Haha. I told Joy I would find her daughter a husband if she brought her when she got older. She laughed and said, “ohh yes!” And all the other nannies stepped up and said they wanted the same. Haha. It was so funny.

We thought that we were going to be saying goodbye to everyone there, but then they jumped on the bus with us. Annie showed them a video she had made of the kids, and they were so excited about it. They asked to get it on their camera memory card so they would have a copy.

I sat at the window watching the city where I spent the last 10 days slip away from me. I watched as my second “home” began to disappear. Tears welled up in my eyes.

When we got to the train station, we finally had to say goodbye to the nannies and director. I told the director and Helen thank you for all the hard work that they’re doing. We were all a sobbing mess, I think. The director was even crying, which meant a lot. It’s so cool to see how much she cares now. It’s just so hard to say goodbye. I’ve never been good at them. I ALWAYS cry. Ask my poor parents who have to deal with a sobbing daughter anytime I go anywhere for a long time.

I’m going to miss those nannies so much.

We walked into the train station and before we went through security I turned around to wave through the window one more time. They were all waving back. I blew a kiss, and every one of them blew one back to us. Joy’s eyes got so big and she made a funny face. Always trying to make me laugh, till the very last moment I see her. :)

And that was the last of it. And now I’m currently sitting on an 8 hour train ride to Beijing, thinking over the whole week.

As of 12 o’clock noon Friday, New Hope has not received the papers from the director giving them consent and guardianship of the heart babies. But she told us she would sign the papers today and fax/email them to the foundation soon. So we’re just praying that they get the ball rolling on that.

But I’m just praising God, because I leave the orphanage this year with a sense of peace and hope. My biggest worry last year was for those heart babies. I’m so sad that we lost one. But I’m at peace knowing that those two who are still there will be getting the care they need. I’m hopeful knowing that New Hope will be able to give them the care and treatments that they need… and even if it is to make them more comfortable before they go to meet Jesus. I am at peace. And that’s the best thing that I could ask for.  

I went back to read my blog from the last day we were in Chenzhou last year. This is what I wrote:

“It’s hard saying bye to Cassie and Sarah, because they’re special need babies. The others I KNOW will be adopted. The cute little ones and the healthy babies. But the ones with severe special needs, it’s hard to see, because I think that they’ll be here with the older kids soon. And for Sarah and Cassie, I don’t know if they’ll last much longer if they don’t gain weight and get surgery. I pray that they stay strong, and that they are fighters.”

I left with such uncertainty… not knowing if I would come back next year and see my heart babies still there. Not knowing if they would get any bigger and if they would live.

But I’m so thankful this year that I know that they will (hopefully)be sent to New Hope. I’m confident enough that the director will sign those papers SOON. She was very excited and thankful for the opportunity. I’m praising God that He has worked this whole situation with the heart babies out in less than a week, and that I know they will be getting what they need.

He is good. All the time. Our God works miracles… I have seen it first hand. And I am so thankful.

Tomorrow is just a sightseeing day. We’re going to the Great Wall in the morning and then shopping in the afternoon. We’re going to the part of the Wall where you can take a bob-sled type thing down, so I’m excited. I also need to practice up on my bargaining, haha. It should be a fun day, but I probably won’t be blogging. Just want to spend my time with the team :).

Again, thank you all for your prayers. I have felt them and they mean so much to me. You all are awesome! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment